Freedom Fireworks Ban in Effect

Freedom – May 10, 2010 – As summer approaches, Freedom officials want seasonal residents to know voters approved a fireworks ordinance at this year’s Town Meeting.

The use of fireworks by residents and visitors is now prohibited except for the four days leading up to and the four days following the 4th of July, plus New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

In an apparent first in state municipal law, the ordinance also has a Red Sox carve-out, allowing pyrotechnic displays for 24 hours following the final out of the final game of any World Series in which Boston wins.

The selectmen proposed the ordinance after hearing concerns that the uncontrolled use of fireworks was creating fire and safety hazards. Town officials also said the number of complaints about noise from fireworks had increased in recent years.

Class C fireworks are legal in New Hampshire and have been a staple of Ossipee Lake life for generations. They continue to be legal in Ossipee and Effingham.

Not addressed by the ordinance are Chinese flying lanterns, also known as sky lanterns, which pose a fire danger but are not considered to be fireworks. Once lit, the devices, which are sold in convenience stores, gracefully rise in the air and can float for miles before landing – often still on fire.

In an incident two years ago, a flying lantern floated into Camp Huckins and set fire to pine needles on a cabin roof. Fortunately, staff members observed the device as it floated across the bay and were able to extinguish the flames.

On designated days when fireworks are legal in Freedom, the ordinance specifies that the devices can only be used by adults and “in a safe manner, in a non-densely populated area (as determined by the enforcing officer).”

Commercial displays of fireworks are permitted provided that a permit is obtained from the Fire Chief or Police Chief. All fireworks are banned after 10 p.m. except for New Year’s Eve, when they are permitted until 2 a.m.

Violators of the ordinance can be fined up to $250 and be liable for restitution as warranted. The ordinance can be read on Freedom’s town website.

Freedom Fireworks Ban in Effect

22 thoughts on “Freedom Fireworks Ban in Effect

• May 10, 2010 at 10:10 am

Not a bad way to do it. I love the Red Sox and select holiday carve outs.

• May 10, 2010 at 10:33 am

As usual, good intentions….not well researched, however…another “shoot from the hip” by Ossipee “farthers”…….

• May 10, 2010 at 10:44 am

I propose and ordinance to ban government from sticking its nose into everyone else’s business.

• May 10, 2010 at 11:44 am

What about the Pats, Bruins and Celtics, and how about when UNH wins the Frozen 4???

• May 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Please tell Rich that Freedom passed this, not Ossipee

• May 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Can i just pay that $250 fine in advance?

• May 10, 2010 at 7:46 pm

hey I like fireworks as much as anyone…..but I’m sick and tired of these knucleheads blowing this stuff off every dam weekend….if you want to make all this noise, go down to hampton beach!! I wish Ossipee would think about the same law…

• May 11, 2010 at 5:50 am

Andy and Barney are gonna be busy bucker roos enforcing this one.

• May 11, 2010 at 6:34 am

Gee, will this ordinance be enforced at the Ossipee Lake Marina….or will yet another blind eye be turned to activities at this business?

• May 11, 2010 at 9:50 am

Too bad this wasn’t done in an above the board manner to allow for ALL Freedom taxpayers to weigh in on this law.

This needs to be voted on again, this time with advanced communication given to ALL Freedom taxpayers to allow for ALL interested parties to weigh in. I’m a Freedom taxpayer and knew absolutely nothing about this and therfore had no opportunity to weigh in on it.

I’m not saying I’m against this law, but I am not a fan of the way it was pushed through. Sneaky government manipulation makes for unhappy taxpayers.

On another subject – Good one Greg with the “Andy and Barney” reference! Mayberry RFD baby! LOL!

• May 11, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I have no issues with the ban itself but might the lakeside land below 410 feet technically be outside the Town of Freedoms legal jurisdiction?

• May 11, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaah. I like your way of thinking Don. The only thing is the court system is as leaky as the titanic. But fortunately tar and feathers are still availible in “Mayberry” I mean Freedom. Sounds like the poor folks have a real problem with the rowdie weekenders. After all we gotta protect the loons and the loonies.

• May 11, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Rick, you may be a taxpayer in Freedom but if you are not a Resident you can’t weigh in anyway.. Don…great point…. can’t wait to see the outcome of that one…. wonder how many people will be pulling up on my beach this summer? Ref to the police dept in Freedom was uncalled for…. If thats what you think,maybe you should go back to mass……try the cape, I’m sure the locals there would just love having you blowing off fireworks all day and night…

• May 12, 2010 at 5:24 am

Hey Zip, Looks like you folks just won’t admit that all your problems might not be with the visitors. Remarks like “go back to Mass.” are uncalled for. Home “groaners” have many issues too.

• May 12, 2010 at 6:18 am

You are absolutley correct Greg, its not the outsiders that cause most of the grief here on the Lake. Want a perfect example? Heck, I’ll give you three; Charlie, John & Tony….the Three (local) Stooges of Westward Shores Campground!

• May 12, 2010 at 8:43 am

Hey zippy why don’t you zip it. I’m a taxpayer and a resident. I just don’t happen to share your simple minded view.

Freedom residents live in a vacation town sport so get used to the fact that people with vacation homes are going to come to the town and enjoy themselves. If it weren’t for those vacationers many people in town wouldn’t have jobs.

All I said is that this was done in an underhanded manner, which it was, and I’m hoping that people get together and have this vote taken again with all Freedom taxpayers having a say in the outcome. The name of the town is Freedom, which makes it even more ironic this that kind of trickery is being used to get things done.

• May 12, 2010 at 9:17 am

You can still purchase them any day, but only use them on select days. What a bunch of hypocrites.

• May 12, 2010 at 11:18 am

A pleasure to see so many that share the same views ! Live free because you’re told to, or want to ?

• May 12, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Sorry Rick….you didn’t mention that you were a resident…. I agree with you about the way this was done.. and if you are a taxpayer in any town, you should have a voice… I have been thru this with the town of ossipee…. I do understand about the area being a vacation spot, but you have to admit at times it gets out of hand….Goerge….great one on Westward Shores… that place is really turning into a joke… I feel bad for the people over there…..what is the latest?

• May 13, 2010 at 8:30 am

Zippy I’m also sorry for the way I framed my comments. I could have done a better job getting my point accross without being rude about it.

And you are right, it does get out of hand when night after night you hear the fireworks going off until midnight. For full time residents it’s a constant noise problem, not to mention the litter from the fireworks and the fire danger.

I think this ban would have passed with flying colors even with everyone given a chance to vote. It really bothers me that my town of Freedom is run by bureaucratic hacks who are more than willing to violate our right to vote. Government at all levels should be of the people and by the people, not to the people.

• May 15, 2010 at 10:57 pm

not to worry, the red sox won’t be winning a world series any time soon!!

• May 19, 2010 at 9:50 am